Saturday, February 9, 2008

It was a graveyard bash... an instant smash


Saturday, not too much to say today, but I'm glad that (at least those who make comments-I'm not even sure if there are other people reading it, but that's fine. As I said it will serve as a journal for me) you're learning a bit about European History. It's one of my favorite things in the world to study and read about, so I'm a bit disappointed that the teachers only talk about religion, art and religious history (although that's all fine and dandy, too). It's been back to class as normal; the trip to Belgium was a nice distraction, but on Thursday we resumed classes as normal, etc. Not that I have too much to complain about, seeing that I’ve only got class from 9:15 to 10 on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but there is homework, and we’ve got a bunch of papers due in our art history class. There is a minimum of one paper per class that’s due. I guess I ought to feel sorry mostly for the woman who teaches the class, since she’s got to read all of our papers. I’m mostly just working on those today. I’ve finished two papers already, and I’ll bet I get 6 or 7 done today. My roommate thinks I’m crazy, but we’ll see what he has to say when I’m all done next week and he’s still got 9 left to write.

On Thursday we went to see the Madeleine, a monument to Napoleon’s army-turned Catholic church/cathedral. It’s kinda funny, since it looks like the Parthenon, but when you go in it’s got some outright creepy statues (and they’ve all got lights under their faces so they look like boy scouts telling scary stories around a campfire)

Yesterday we went to a big graveyard and saw the graves of a lot of famous people (including Chopin and Jim Morrison… goodness only knows how he ended up in this famous cemetery). Oscar Wilde also ended up here, and people come and kiss it and his headstone is covered in lipstick. It’s kinda weird, I think, but hey, whatevs. Then we saw a French movie (where the happy ending was the woman getting together with the guy she was cheating with on her husband… who had died), and I got to walk home since the last bus leaves at 8:30pm from the train station, and it took me almost an hour because I got lost for a bit (out of all fairness, it’s a bit tough for this mountain boy to find his way in such a flat place…).

Today’s pictures are of the house I live in, one of the fields nearby and the girls I went to the graveyard with. (There was a part of it where we went down underground into a crematorium and walked around through rows and rows of headstones set into the walls, and I jumped out and scared the daylights out of one of the girls. It was great :). Well, have a great weekend, and take care. Life is beautiful!

Jeff

2 comments:

Ashley said...

scaring girls jeff!! Sounds just like you! Haha, Wow, how fun to be surrounded by so much history and art!

Brandon Gardner said...

Jeff,

I hope that you are learning the language. The blog looks great. Keep up the internet access.