Friday, June 18, 2010

Nous sommes arrivé!

From crêpes to paintings of Le Tour Eiffel (though I saw them in Istan
bul, too), I feel like I am home in Rhodes. An old addiction I had
forgotten about was silently fed when we stopped at the dessert stand
this afternoon. In my Parisian days (see blog posts from early 2008) I
ate crêpes like a maniac. Mostly banana with nutella, though sometimes
lemon and sugar. The best was for the birthday of my dear friend Susie
Dooz, when we got nutella and added our own strawberries and
raspberries. In any event, I feel like I am home. I've spent over 2.5
of the last 6 years in Europe--and there is a dramatic difference
between southern Turkey and the Greek isles. Not in the sun or in the
water--I am sure you could strand me on the beach for a week and I
couldn't tell the difference between them--but in the town and in the
city.

Speaking of beaches, for all the glamour (sp? am I becoming a Brit? I
used to do it as a joke, but sometimes I don't know the difference
anymore) of these Mediterranean beaches, I am shocked at how rocky
they all are. Big smooth stones--makes for a great view, but not as
much fun to walk on.

I was recently advised that my posts are too long to read in one
sitting, so I'm making efforts to shorten them a bit.

Lastly, Rhodes is the ancient site of the Colossus of Rhodes, one of
the 7 wonders of the anciet world. Also included (as per Antipater,
the Greek) are the hanging gardens in Babylon, the pyramid of Giza,
the lighthouse of Alexandria, the statue of Zeus at Olympus, the
temple of Artemis at Ephesus (which I, sadly, chose to skip this time
around) and the Mausoleum of Halicarnassus.

Sadly, the colossus isn't there anymore. It was built in 280 BC, then
knocked down in 226BC by a monsterous earthquake. It was the last of
the seven to be finished, and the first to be destroyed. Sigh... I
guess good things just don't last, do they?

No comments: