Saturday, January 8, 2011

Mama's always right

Yup, it's true. It was ~3 degrees in Salt Lake when I was headed to the south of Africa. Remembering many lessons in middle school about the hemispheres and changing climates, I figured it couldn't get better than this—I'd just bring my swimming suit, towel and sunglasses and I'd be set. Not wanting to weigh down my already bloated carry-on luggage, I sprinted from the car to the terminal in a t-shirt, narrowly avoiding frostbite. Thinking better of it, I called my parents and asked them to run out my long sleeved shirt, just in case.

Mom brought the hoodie and the long sleeved shirt and said I'd be happy to have them both. Grunting, I smashed the shirt into my baggage and wrapped the sweatshirt around my waist.

It was a bit chilly deboarding I Atlanta, but that wasn't the end of the world.

Today in the Mabula game park it might have hit 50 degrees, if we hadn't been in an open topped jeep riding at 30 miles an hour. Good thing I had the long-sleeved shirt *and* the hoodie!

No comments: