Sunday, August 1, 2010

Indian Wanderings

This afternoon Staci, Becky and I wandered around Jaipur a bit on our
own. It was kinda fun to get away from the group and away from our
tour guides. We started off in the fruit market (where we made some
friends--they gave me a free banana for taking a picture with them...
an odd turning of the tables in a country where people try to get you
to pay / tip for everything). We did buy pomegranates and a pineapple--
though it was from the next booth down. Then we wandered through the
vegetable market, which had more flies than I've seen anywhere else in
india--filling the air and covering all the veggies in a tin layer...
Kinda nastastic, if you ask me. I hope they wash them well before they
eat it.

Continuing on, we found an ice cream vendor and got some cones by a
park (mine was only a week expired. I felt good about that--but
Becky's was already open on one side, so she made the guy give her
another one). We walked around the park a couple of times, found a
store with a 50% sale where I got a pair of shorts and two polo shirts
for $18 (though the victory was dulled when later we found two stores
with 85% off and buy one get four free sales going on). Overall, a
successful market adventure in India! All we need to do now is find
spices for Staci!

No comments: